Coolibar is all for spending days in the sun, protected of course, and fall is the perfect time to get outdoors with your family and spend quality time together. We’ve compiled a list of “10 must do activities” this fall that will create lasting family memories and get your kids some fresh air.
10 Must Do Family Activities This Fall
1. Collect colorful leaves. Search your yard or neighborhood for the most colorful leaves and gather them in a bag. Here are a couple of crafty ideas from Disney Family Fun to use the leaves. 1) Make a sun catcher. Using a low setting, iron a leaf between two pieces of waxed paper with a sheet of plain paper on top. Hang in a sunny window. 2) Preserve a leaf. Bring a mixture of 2 parts water and 1 part glycerin (available in most pharmacies) to a boil in a saucepan (adults only). Pour the solution into a heat-proof container. Drop in a few brightly-colored leaves and gently submerge with a wooden spoon. Keep the container in a cool, dark place until there is a slight change in the leaves’ tints. Then remove them and blot dry with a paper towel. Instead of turning brown and crumbly, the leaves will retain their brilliant hues.
2. Pine cone walk. Take a walk around your neighborhood and collect pine cones. Tell the kids to find the biggest pine cones or the ones that aren’t broken. Place the pine cones in a bowl or basket for a home fall decoration that will last through the holiday season. You can also buy non-toxic metallic paints from your local craft store to color the pine cones.
3. Play name that leaf. Have the kids collect unusual leaves. Grab a tree guidebook from your local library to bring along and identify the types of trees the leaves were taken from.
4. Have fun raking. Gather leaves into a huge pile and jump in! Remove twigs from the pile and make sure there are enough leaves before the kids dive in.
5. Stuff a scarecrow. Dig out an old shirt and overalls and stuff with hay or leaves until firm. Complete the scarecrow with a pumpkin head.
6. Venture to your local orchard or farm. Head off for a day of apple picking, pumpkin carving, hayrides, corn mazes and other fun activities. Many farms have a picnic area you can all gather for lunch as well. If you pick apples, come home and have the kids help you make some homemade apple crisp (adults cut apples, kids mix ingredients).
7. Search for state parks and plan for a hike or bike ride. Look out for wildlife and occasionally stop for family photos.
8. Picnic on the beach. The beach is breezy at this time, but isn’t crowded like in the summer. The ocean or lake becomes the perfect backdrop for a relaxing afternoon. Pack books and sand toys for the kids.
9. Tour the town. Grab a tourist brochure and take in the local sites. Snap pictures, buy treats and meander through the neighborhood shops.
10. Create a new fall tradition. Get outdoors, enjoy the fall weather and make new memories – you belong in the sun!
Even though it’s fall, you still need to protect your family from nature’s elements such as the sun and insects. Make sure to pack plenty of sunscreen and wear sun protective clothing! Have fun.