Here at Coolibar we work hard to educate adults and kids about the importance of staying SunAWARE. Our friends at Abbey’s Hope, a local Minnesota non-profit, are just as serious about pool safety. Abbey’s Hope was created in honor of Abbey Taylor, a young girl whose tragic story inspired thousands of families and companies to give pool safety the attention it deserves.
As the summer winds down, you may be hitting the pool or beach for a few last days of fun in the sun. You’re most likely going to pack along your broad-spectrum sunscreen and Coolibar gear to help keep you safe from the damaging effects of UV. Besides avoiding nasty sunburn, Abbey’s Hope wants to make sure you don’t forget the other important ways you can remain safe at the pool.
One way the organization educates our local community is by producing and sponsoring a number of fun events that help families learn to enjoy the pool in a safe way. Often partnering with other great non-profits, such as the YMCA, Abbey’s Hope has reached thousands of children, including the 2,400 kids they helped provide with water safety lessons and the 150 children who received a new swimsuit as a result of their “Bowling for Swimsuits” event.
Abbey’s Hope is a great source for information about how to stay safe at the pool. Some of the helpful pool safety tips they suggest are:
- If you’re in a group, appoint a designated “water watcher,” taking turns with other adults.
- While supervising, stay alert and avoid distractions like reading or the telephone.
- Teach children how to tread water, float, and get out of the pool.
- Tell children to stay away from pool and hot tub drains.
- Never dive in to water less than nine feet deep.
- If you find a drain cover that is loose, broken or missing, notify the owner or operator and do not enter the pool or hot tub.
- Learn infant and child CPR.
The biggest fundraising event of the year for Abbey’s Hope is their Annual Golf Tournament, taking place September 12, 2011. The event helps raise money so the organization can continue its mission to make pools safe and to educate kids and adults about all the ways to have a fun, safe day at the pool. Because sun safety is an important and vital part of pool safety, this year Coolibar will be participating in the Golf Tournament by providing an information table with materials about how to stay SunAWARE.
If you’d like to learn more about Abbey’s Hope or how to participate in the Golf Tournament, please visit their website at http://abbeyshope.org/.