May is the gateway to summer, and it’s also Skin Cancer Awareness Month. As you spend more time outdoors, it’s important to know how to be SkinSmart. Why you ask? Well, just like drinking lots of water, walking everyday, and eating healthy, it’s smart for you to care about and protect your skin.
You may have seen the U.S. Surgeon General issued a call to action about skin cancer as a major public health threat. Skin cancer is the most common type of cancer in the U.S. More people have had skin cancer than all other cancers combined, and 3.5 million people are diagnosed each year. That’s shocking, right? Luckily, skin cancer is also preventable. Leading medical organizations and dermatologists urge sun protective clothing as a first line of defense, and Coolibar is proud to be the first brand to receive the Skin Cancer Foundation’s Seal of Recommendation.
For the month of May, we are excited to be partnering with the American Cancer Society (ACS) to spread #SkinSmart tips to prevent skin cancer, reduce premature aging, and heighten awareness of sun protective clothing as an easy option. It’s hard to believe many people still don’t know that sun protective clothing exists. Throughout the month of May, Coolibar is also donating $1 to the ACS for every order placed at Coolibar.com, up to $25,000.
Here are our top tips to protect your skin and have fun in the sun:
- Teach kids that being safe in the sun is as important as wearing a bike helmet! Limiting sun exposure now helps prevent skin cancer in the future.
- Make sure to wear lightweight clothing that is tightly woven (t-shirts do NOT block UV rays!), and contains a UV protection factor of 50.
- Keep sunscreen and a hat in your gym bag, stroller or diaper bag so it’s always accessible when needed.
- Apply sunscreen 15-30 minutes BEFORE going out in the sun, and remember to reapply to exposed areas every two hours, and more often after swimming or sweating.
- Take regular breaks from the sun especially between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., when UV rays are strongest, and make sure to drink lots of water. Set your phone’s alarm for reminders.
- Wearing a wide-brim hat provides extra coverage to the neck and shoulders. Every inch of hat brim can lower your lifetime risk of skin cancer by 10%.
- Wear a swim shirt specifically designed for water activities while at the pool or beach. These provide maximum sun protection, cover a large amount of exposed skin, and dry quickly so they are great for trips.
- Wear sunglasses. In addition to protecting eyes from UV exposure, another cancer risk, the right sunglasses offer impact protection, and reduce reflection if you are participating in any rigorous activities.