Long days at the beach can be incredibly relaxing and rejuvenating, but they can also wreak havoc on your skin. What’s more, keeping up your sunscreen regimen can be challenging, especially with young children.
Since most beaches aren’t covered with shady trees, you will need to create your own shade! There are three significant sources of beach shade you can bring with you to keep you and your family covered while enjoying the sun and sand.
Level up your sun protection game with a beach sunshade and UPF 50+ beach wardrobe from Coolibar!
Why is Beach Shade Important?
- Applying a broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher
- Cover your skin by wearing lightweight, long-sleeved shirts, pants, hats, and sunglasses. Select clothing with an ultraviolet protection factor (UPF) for more effective production
- Seeking out shade, especially when the sun is at its strongest between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm
Most remember to apply sunscreen and sun protective swimwear, especially when it comes to young people. But they don’t always seek out shade! Coolibar has got you covered…literally. Here are some beach shade ideas for your next vacation in the sun.
DIY Beach Sun Shade Ideas
Shady Wide-Brimmed Hats
First and foremost, protection starts at the top. You need a hat! The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends a hat with a brim of at least three inches to shade your scalp, neck, shoulders, and upper back, along with easily overlooked places like the tops of the ears and back of the neck.
There are many fashion hats out there made with materials that allow UV Rays to penetrate the fabric and reach the skin, but with a UPF 50+ hat, you don’t have to worry about it! Here are some of our tried and true favorites:
UV Ray-Stopping Umbrellas
Second on our list of convenient sun shade options is the beach umbrella. The Intego beach umbrella is made with rigorously tested, highest-rated UPF 50+ material and is even tilt adjustable to maximize sun blockage. You can be sure it will last you for many beach trips with the following technical features:
- UPF 50+
- Water repellant
- Easy to transport
- Effectively provides shade for up to two people
Stay cool and protected with Coolibar’s UPF 50+ beach umbrella, a sunshade you can transport wherever your next adventure takes you.
Tiny Home on the Beach
A beach canopy or tent is usually made up of four posts with a piece of fabric on top and is an excellent option for a larger group of people. There’s really no limit to how large you can make it, so you can feel confident that your children are getting adequate shade. Beach canopies require just a few materials, are easily packable, and can be made in various sizes and heights, depending on your needs. Below are the materials you’ll utilize to create a beach canopy of your own.
- Posts: we recommend using four posts anchored vertically in the sand as the base. You can use tent poles or even sticks found along the beach!
- Fabric: for the best protection, use a dark or dense material such as canvas or woven cloth.
- Clamps: you’ll need four clamps or another type of fastener to secure the fabric to the posts.
- Towels or Chairs: enjoy a snooze or a snack in the shade under your newly created beach canopy!
If you’re not looking to create your own, many Coolibar customers love the Shibumi Shade. It’s lightweight, easy to set up, and can provide shade for the whole family.
Now that you’ve learned about the importance of sunshades, check out Coolibar’s blog for more sun-safe tips and shop their selection of Sun Protection You Wear.
Protect Your Skin at the Beach with Coolibar
Whether you choose to DIY at the beach or purchase one of your own to use for many years to come, a sunshade is a must for your next warm weather getaway. You’ll not only have a spot for everyone to gather, but you’ll keep your skin covered and have a chance to cool off from the sun. With so many varieties of sunshades, there’s one to fit every situation.