On Sunday, October 9, 2011, Governor Jerry Brown signed a bill making California the first state to prohibit minors from using tanning beds. This raises the question, should teens be able to decide whether or not to use tanning beds? According to Aim at Melanoma Foundation, using a tanning bed before the age of 20 doubles a person’s risk of developing melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer. Even more staggering is that 28 million individuals in the U.S. use tanning beds each year despite the statistics, which includes 2.3 million teens.
About this blog
Experts and enthusiasts share their
experiences, how-to’s and answers on
healthy sunny living.
- Valerie Stewart, Coolibar Athlete on A Rower’s Day in SoCal
- Madeleine Murray on Official Rules for UV Safety Month – Women’s Swim Shirt Giveaway!
- Barbara Abel on Official Rules for UV Safety Month – Women’s Swim Shirt Giveaway!
- Frank on An Athlete Prepares for Summer
- Maile Ostrem on Deadlines! Even in Hawaii, Being a Mom, Teacher & Athlete Requires Planning (and Stamina)